About This Initiative
Started in 2007, this is a collaborative effort by federal agencies to define common guidelines, methods, and practices for digitizing historical content. As part of this, two working groups are studying issues specific to two major areas, Still Image and Audio Visual.
This group is involved in a cooperative effort to develop common digitization guidelines for still image materials.
The group works on common sustainable technical guidelines, methods, and practices for digitized and born digital sound recordings and moving images (video recordings and motion picture film).
- Embedding Metadata in DPX Files
In Process | November 2016
The FADGI Audio-Visual Working Group is currently drafting guidelines for embedding metadata in the DPX header, a file format often used for digitized motion picture film. The draft guidelines outline FADGI implementations of the SMPTE Core fields as well as other elements Strongly Recommended, Recommended or Optional for FADGI use.
- Technical Guidelines for the Still Image Digitization of Cultural Heritage Materials
Approved by Working Group | September 2016
The 2016 FADGI Technical Guidelines for Digitizing Cultural Heritage Materials has been approved by the Still Image working group. This represents shared best practices for still image materials (e.g., textual content, maps, and photographic prints and negatives) followed by FADGI agencies, and is used by cultural heritage institutions worldwide. This major revision of the guidelines is the first since 2010. It expands on the earlier works and incorporates new material reflecting the advances in imaging science and cultural heritage imaging best practices.
- MXF AS-07 Milestone: Sample Files Available
Review draft for comment | Comments requested by December 31, 2016
The FADGI AV Working Group, through a contract with AVPreserve and their subcontractor EVS have created a set of graded sample files based on the AS-07 Application Specification as of June 2016. Comments are requested.
- MXF AS-07 Milestone: Approved as AMWA Proposed Specification
Review draft for comment | July 11, 2016
The Advanced Media Workflow Association (AMWA) has approved FADGI's MXF AS-07 Application Specification for Archiving and Preservation as an official Proposed Specification. The detailed AS-07 file "wrapper" specification intended to serve reformatting programs includes a list of permitted encoded essences (the underlying content bitstreams), defines a means for the carriage of multiple timecodes; the handling of captions, subtitles, and Timed Text; a minimal core metadata set; program segmentation metadata; and embedded content integrity data.
- Audio Analog-to-Digital Converter Performance
Approved by Working Group | July 2016
Comments requested for ADC guideline version 1.1 that concerns metrics and measurement methods for analog-to-digital converters. Other reports linked from this page describe the problem of interstitial errors, i.e., accidental loss or transformations of audio samples within the digitizing system before the data stream is written to file.
- Digitizing Motion Picture Film: Exploration of the Issues and Sample SOW
Approved by Working Group | April 18, 2016
The FADGI Audio-Visual Working Group's report on motion picture film scanning combines an introductory essay, a set of tables that describe a range of film "inputs" and digital "outputs," and concludes with a model statement of work for outsourced conversion of film to video.
- All digitization guidelines
News & Events
- Guidelines for embedded metadata in DPX headers including poster for 2016 AMIA conference, November 2016
- Summary of FADGI's impact within the Library of Congress and elsewhere (PDF), September 2016
- Carl Fleischhauer retires from the Library of Congress, April 2016
- Digitizing Motion Picture Film: Exploration of the Issues and Sample SOW; Approved by Working Group, April 18, 2016
- Revised version of Audio Analog-to-Digital Converter Performance Specification and Test Method, v 1.1. Document posted for comment February 16, 2016.
- FADGI MXF Video Specification Moves Up an Industry-organization Approval Ladder, July 11, 2016
- Digitizing Motion Picture Film: FADGI Report on Current Practices and Future Directions, December 9, 2015
The following are provided as resources for the digitization of both audio-visual and still image digital content.
- JPEG 2000 Lossy Compression (PDF, 1.6 MB)
- Digital Imaging Standards
- Evaluating Still Image Digitization and Digitization Equipment (PDF, 2.5 MB)
- “Format Considerations in Audio Visual Preservation Reformatting” (PDF, 528 KB)
Last Updated: 11/23/2016