Federal Agencies
Digitization Guidelines Initiative

Home > Glossary > R > Reflection, diffuse

Term: Reflection, diffuse

 “Search Glossary” button searches only the glossary. Temporary note: search not enabled for two- and three-character terms; browse by alphabet.
 “Search“ button at the top right of the page searches the Web site, not the glossary.

Suggest a term

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Term: Reflection, diffuse

Diffuse reflection occurs when light is reflected off a rough surface, scattering the rays of light in a broad range of directions. The higher the degree of scattering of the reflected light relative to the incident light, the more diffuse the reflection. Flat house paint (rough and irregular when magnified) is generally used on ceilings to produce diffuse even illumination in a room. Where glossy paint may be used on trim where specular reflection is not problematic and may even be desirable.
See also:
Reflection, specular